Friday, February 27, 2009

Frankly, It's Friday -- Bringing Bustles and Bonnets - The Birth and Death of the Victorian Bustle: an Apologia « Such Eternal Delight


Frankly Friday is the day everyone thanks God for his gift of the day. That which, I am always grateful, for it is my day off which comes after four days or seven day stretch. And in rare occasions, fourteen. I usually have a lot of "hustling and bustling" to do on that day. It could be blogging, housework, letter writing, resting, fanciful something or other, you name it.

With that said I am going to move along to the post of the day's subject. I am going to add a blog roll to the side.


I have found so many useful fashion and photography blogs that
deserve a second and third look.
I found them while searching for
certain fashions for
1870- 1872 costumes on trusty Google. I ran into
so many lovely informative
sites, which right away went into
favorites. Occasionally I ran accross
protected sites that would not allow
me to put them into favorites. So, I
wrote them down on a slip
of paper which will be lost and forgotten a day or
two from now.
It's sad, but true. So now, I figure after I find them I can hop off to my
blogroll, and I can save them there for later exploration.

I do understand why they do that. They have good intentions for
their protection of their material on the blog, but they hurt themselves. Unless
they are so well known, then it does not matter, right. So in order to be able
to browse the site for all the good reading, I am starting a blogroll or reading
list, which will feature fashion which comes to us in all forms. Photography,
jewelry, dolls, history, etc. As you see below untitled and with the working class.


I think too it will help with my
identification of time periods of the photos I have. See here the woman of the late 1870's, where I have incorrectly colored her costume wrong.I don't have bustles on any of my photos. But I do have some bonnets. So I will need to explore those fashions and judge dates according to my photos.

I also have an intention of adding a few
later on military uniform and medals, just because I do have a few people
sporting uniforms and medals.


My first one in the blog roll today is this one which would have been extremely historically useful for me last week.The author comes to us from Rochester, New York.
http://sucheternaldelight.wordpress.com/2008/10/10/the-birth-and-death-of-the-victorian-bustle-an-apologia/
The Birth and Death of the Victorian Bustle: an Apologia « Such Eternal Delight: "1873 Bustle The elliptical hoop evolved into the first bustle period bustle, which was a very narrow hoop skirt with a concentration of hoops in the back and, in most cases, a rigid support arched bone to make the back extend outward from the wearer. The structure was stabilized by a supporting piece of fabric that rested flat falling from the waistband until the knees. They came in many designs, but were hoop-like for the entire first-bustle or “soft” period. First Bustle Period The new shape had an asymmetrical profile, and the gowns that went on top of the bustles embraced this new found release from cross-sectional symmetry. Skirt designs became elaborate to accentuate the form. Decoration became complex and compartmentalized. Perils of the Natural Form from Punch All good things"

I found this site more helpful than the many other ones that I was
looking at. I needed to know the historic detail for the years 1870-1871 as I
need to know the detail of the declining Bustle. You can see here the untitled picture

There is something special about the fashion of a woman with her umbrella, which shaded her from the sun. Her sunshades that are more attractive than modern days girls shades. [tee hee] I am a sucker for fashion pics and just love the umbrellas. I am sure they had a specific name other than umbrellas.
A Bonus for me was that I found her pictures and illustrations so
lovely to view. Just as I always have with my favorite Victorian Magazines.

I have to admit I shall explore this site and others even further to
find more on the American immigrant woman's costume from Hannover Kingdom going
to Nebraska.

I hope your exploration of the site is enjoyable as I thought it might
be. I did say exploration, not exploitation. [smile] I have found some free
fashion girls with the right word through some encyclopedias. They have pictures
with public domain labeling. I am planning to remember that,
if I can
come up with the right word to make them magically appear there. [smile
again]



Well Frankly, it's Friday, and I have been dawdling here a bit too long, I really must move on to my job ' whatchama call it ' designated for catch up today. Thanks for stopping by. Your comments are welcome, as always. See you later.


just me here

Sourcehttp://sucheternaldelight.wordpress.com/2008/10/10/the-birth-and-death-of-the-victorian-bustle-an-apologia/

No comments: